Hi,

I'm using the new UserDatabase (org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase /
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory) as configured by
default with Tomcat 4.1.27.

Our System admin made a basic XML error, and in tomcat-users.xml put and
entry in like...

<user username="tomcat" password="tom&cat" roles="tomcat" />

Obviously the '&' makes this invalid XML, and tomcat doesn't start...

We changed the & to &amp; the XML was then valid, the user account worked,
life was good....

A few days later, after he restarted the server, it was broke again...

Seems that when Tomcat re-wrote out the tomcat-users.xml file, instead of
escaping the & and writing it back out as &amp; it just put it out a &, so
we were back to square one!

Question:
1) Is this a bug?
2) Can I stop the 're-writing' part of this as a work around?
3) Are XML entities not allowed in tomcat-users.xml?

Thanx

PaulE