Yeah, well, it won't work with 3.3.0 (it will exhibit the intestinal
behavior that you describe :).  After the 3.3.0 release the Velocity people
lobbied for a non-JSP Servlet-container, so with 3.3.1, we (with non-default
options) gave it to them.

"Jon Skeet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Actually, removing Jasper from 3.3.1(a) is about the same as
> for 4.1.x:  You
> just comment out the JspInterceptor element in server.xml,
> and voila: you've
> got a JSP-less Servlet-Container.

I tried that at the time - I can't remember which version, I'm afraid - and
if I didn't have Jasper present, it barfed. I didn't have *any* references
to JSPs left in the configuration, *anywhere*. Very strange. Never mind
though - seems to be fine with 4.1.

> Ok, to be helpful, for 4.1.x, you need to comment out all
> references to
> JspServlet in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml (including the
> servlet-mapping).
> Then you have a JSP-less Servlet-Container.

Cheers,
Jon