Hi

I'm having a problem using form-based authentication. It all works
fine with standalone Tomcat, but goes pear shaped on Apache with
Tomcat. It seems to be the same problem that is described in
(but I think it's more a Tomcat thing than a struts thing).

Basically, I'm using the securityfilter filter from
http://www.securityfilter.org/. I have a login.jsp that submits a form
to j_security_check in the usual way. The only trouble is that Apache
comes back with an Apache 404 on /path-to-login.jsp/j_security_check.  It is
clearly not passing j_security_check through to Tomcat to handle.

The URL at the top of this message suggests passing all requests
through to Tomcat (at least I think that's what it means - it uses
mod_jk, and I'm using mod_jk2, which I'm not totally expert at
anyway). First, that doesn't seem to work for me, and second, although
I could configure things that way on my local setup it's not a
realistic option for deployment, where I'm on a shared server.

The support guy at my hosting service suggested making the target of
the form /servlet/j_security_check, which at least gets it through to
Tomcat --- which then gives me a 404. Obviously this is right, because
I have no servlet mapping that would pick it up.

So is there a way of defining a servlet mapping (or indeed any other
element in web.xml) that would push things through to the right place?

Alternatively is there any way of doing this programmatically? Could I
send the form into a servlet which could then forward or redirect to
j_security_check directly, without going through Apache? If so, how?

Thanks for any help on this.

--
Louise Pryor
http://www.louisepryor.com