Well, no.  j2ee.jar is just a library.  It happens to be quite large and
covers a LOT of functionality.  But it is not a java runtime, and it
doesn't contain any of the core java (j2se) classes.

>From the docs on j2ee 1.3.1:

""""
Supported Operating Systems and Required Software
   This release relies on the Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition ("J2SE").
""""

The reason Yoav recommends you dump j2ee.jar is that it contains a
number of classes that Tomcat *already* has, and it's easier to avoid
conflicts between different class versions by just removing the entirely
un-necessary j2ee.jar from Tomcat's view.

Where does JAVA_HOME point to?  It should point to an installation of
the J2SE JDK version 1.3.x or above.