Honestly, I personally have no clue with respect to encoding issues. I will be playing with UTF-8 soon but ala, I am stuck in ISO8859-1 for now.

But my gut feel is container authentication implementation is purely container dependent. So you'll be stuck with tomcat, or weblogic, or ???. Hopefully, the dependency will be very simple and lightweight to ease the portability issue.

If you have a lot of time to waste, I think there and many "resolved" issues in bugzilla with some probably interesting conversations.

Hopefully someone else is lurking and has more insight.

-Tim

Joerg Heinicke wrote:

Tim Funk wrote:

You can't intercept j_security_check with a filter, it violates the spec.

-Tim

This is at least one answer to my thread started last week: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg104931.html. What are the consequences/possibilities to set the request character encoding with servlet standard API mechanisms instead of using the Tomcat proprietary solution of using a Valve?

Joerg