Thanks for the replies.

So this means I have to go with custom realm and authenticator? Actually I first tried
with them but got stuck, I guess I was quite close to success though. I posted one
article asking for help several days ago but got no response at all. I am reposting it
below, hopefully sb. would kindly point me a way out.

Dear all,

I wrote my own authenticator (extends FormAuthenticator) & realm (extends JDBCRealm).
What I need is to check one more field in the database besides password for
authentication. Only minor modifications are made on the original codes so I think it
should be fine. What I also did include changing the
org/apache/catalina/startup/Authenticators.properties
file to add the new authenticator; modifying the server.xml and web.xml accordingly.
Furthermore, I added the entries for my authenticator and realm in the
mbeans-descriptor.xml file.

I expected everything to work perfectly but when I tried to access the secured area, I
got the following error:
HTTP Status 500 - Configuration error: Cannot perform access control without an
authenticated principal
---------------------------------

type Status report

message Configuration error: Cannot perform access control without an authenticated
principal

description The server encountered an internal error (Configuration error: Cannot
perform access control without an authenticated principal) that prevented it from
fulfilling this request.

This error was triggered instantly. I mean I even did not have a chance to see the
login webpage. Now I have several questions:

What is the flow of the authentication? Was my authenticator got executed at all?

Bill Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Joerg Heinicke" wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tim Funk wrote:
> > You can't intercept j_security_check with a filter, it violates the
spec.

> > -Tim
>
> This is at least one answer to my thread started last week:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg104931.html.
> What are the consequences/possibilities to set the request character
> encoding with servlet standard API mechanisms instead of using the
> Tomcat proprietary solution of using a Valve?

This is a really interesting issue. I would hope that you would send a
message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to hopefully get the expert-team
to clarify this before the 2.4 spec goes final. Because the Servlet-2.2
spec lacks the request.setCharacterEncoding method, Tomcat 3.3 jumps through
a lot of hoops to try and guess the charset. These were dropped in Tomcat
4+, since the request.setCharacterEncoding method was supposed to solve all
of these problems. As you have pointed out, it is not possible to use this
in a Filter for the standard Form-auth config (for the simple reason that
Auth is called before Filters). Therefore, the j_security_check target is
flying blind wrt charset.