Jonathan,

Does
anybody know what the maximum number of users supported by a single
Tomcat server is?  I'm running a fairly good server with a dual
processor setup and 1Gb of memory.

Tomcat itself does not have a limit but there may be other practical limits that you are reaching.

When i get around 100 students logging onto a test some of the
connections are refused and the server becomes very slow at handling
the requests.  I'm running Tomcat 5.0 in an attempt to improve this
situation?  Is this a better server than 4.1.24?

IMHO, Tomcat 4.1 and 5.0 are really very similar in terms of performance. I'd just pick a version and stick with it. Your problems are likely to be due to your environment or application rather than the version of the container that you are using.

<Connector port="8080" maxThreads="400" minSpareThreads="200"
maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="400" debug="0" connectionTimeout="-1" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

You have a lot of request processors in there. Do you know how long it takes to service a (normal) request? Are you communicating with a database, or is everything in memory? How large is the Java heap that you have allocated?

You can find out memory information either by using a profiler (see the archives) or by writing a quick-and-dirty JSP that grabs the memory information from Java (see the java.lang.Runtime javadoc for the methods).

If you have a database, how are you connecting to it? Do you use a connection pool, or a single (synchronized) connection, or do you open a connection for every user. Is it possible for you to write to the db less frequently? If you make lots of discrete writes to the db, is't a lot slower than a bigger write, especially if it's in a transaction. Where is your database physically located?

Are you instantiating a HUGE number of objects for each request? Are you using an XSL transformer?

Sorry for all the questions -- just trying to help.
-chris