On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 06:21, Jonathan Holloway wrote:

> I could cluster multiple copies of Tomcat on seperate machines with a simple load
> balancer on the front end?  I'd ratehr not go that route yet though and see if I can
> get it so that single machine can handle up to 250 - 300 simultaneous requests.
>
> Is there any point in clustering instances of Tomcat on the same machine?

For NIC failover, I setup two Tomcats on each server bound to each NIC.
So, if one NIC goes, I only lose one instance and that box can still
serve some connections (and not be totally out of the running).

You might also want to run multiple, different contexts to keep apps
clustered in separate Tomcats for reasons of wanting a certain App to
always run while not being as worried about another App running (say a
QA context?).

Ben Ricker
Wellinx, inc.