From: Ben Souther [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 12:38 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat4.1.29 Requested resource not available

A few things to check.

1.) Take a look at the Tomcat logfiles in TOMCAT_HOME/logs
    Always start there.

2.) Make sure Tomcat can find the javac compiler.
    Do you have a full j2sdk installed or just a JRE?
        Tomcat will run with a JRE but won't be able to
        compile your JSPs without access to javac.
        If not, go to http://java.sun.com and get a full j2sdk.

    Is your JAVA_HOME evironment variable set?
        Type: echo $JAVA_HOME at the shell to verify.
        It should point to the root directory of your j2sdk.
        Example:  /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2

    Is your JAVA_HOME evironment variable PROPERLY set?
        Type:  $JAVA_HOME/bin/javac at the shell.
        If you get a "Command not found" message, it's not.

    Another way to make sure that Tomcat can see your javac compiler
    is to run (not just look at, but run) the JSP examples that ship with
    Tomcat.

3.) Check the permissions of the directories and files that you've created
    and make sure that that whatever user that is running Tomcat has
    permission to access those files.

Let us know what you find.

-Ben