From: BAO RuiXian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 7:09 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat4.1.29 Requested resource not available

Nadia Kunkov wrote:

>Yes, I did try it. Didn't work.  Something isn't right in my configuration.

What you have done? Did you first make a <Context>...</Contest> for
'test' app based on the block for 'examples', and then run
localhost:8080/manager/install?war=test

What did you mean by 'Didn't work'? What is the error message? Have you
tried to see what apps you have installed by running
localhost:8080/manager/list

I just tried and it works. What I did were:

    1. Make a directory 'test' under your 'webapps' directory.
    2. Make a block <Context>...</Context> for 'test' by copying the
'examples' block and changing all the words 'examples' to 'test'.
    3. Finally, run localhost:8080/manager/install?war=test

That is all. Now I can access the 'test' app by localhost:8080/test, it
is empty though. BTW, I have same verison of Tomcat as you are, i.e.
4.1.29. Please also login as a user which has the 'manager' role, in
your case it is 'Tomcat', IIRC. Your browser will prompt you for the
first time, anyway.

>I plan to install the next version, Tomcat 5.X now.
>Could you tell me how different is the configuration from the prvious version?
>What are the main steps?

I don't know, because I have not tried Tomcat 5.x yet. But I think your
Tomcat 4.1.29 basically works, since you can see the 'examples' app.
Somehow you have problem with your new app 'test'. Need to quiet down
and figure it out, otherwise, I will expect you will have the same
deploying problem for your new app.

>Can I find an RPM for that?  I can't seem to find one...
>Is there documentation aside from Jakarta site?
>Is it a complex install?
>Which is a stable release in Tomcat 5?
>I do appreciate your help very much.
>Thanks
>N.K.

I don't know any of the above questions, as I said, I have not tried the
new version, and not planned to do so:)

Good luck.

Bao