Hi,

Shapira, Yoav wrote:
Howdy,

The fact that in the stock distribution the fork attrribute is set to
false by default is IMHO not very good choice. Took me several days of
headaches trying to find the leak in my code. When there is a disign
choice "slow" versus "crash for 1% of users" I would choose slow and

put

into some doc how to make it faster if it is required.

Well, that's your opinion. ;) I for one disagree.

In addition, this issue is well-documented in several places, including
the JSPs How-To
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jasper-howto.html), the
Release Notes, the JSP servlet in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml, this
mailing list's archives, and links to this mailing list's archives from
the tomcat FAQ Memory page.  Workarounds such as precompilingare also
documented in at least one of the above places, including pre-compiling
your JSPs.

Sorry - I was trying to use tomcat 4.1.29 and never looked at 5.0 docs. In 4.1 ones there are really vague advices regarding memory ;-(
Also the 4.1.x was for quite a long period of time regarded as "stable" - not very stable with the default setting.

and following bash script:
while [ 1 ]
do
  /usr/bin/lynx -dump http://localhost:8080/test.jsp >> /tmp/m.txt
  touch /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29/webapps/ROOT/test.jsp

If this (the JSP page source changing on every user request) is a
realistic scenario for your webapp, you will also run into other, deeper
performance- and data-integrity related issues.  But why do I get the
feeling the above script doesn't mimic any realistic production system
scenario? ;)

Come on! That was an isolation test case. Of course this is not a production system. On the production system we have approx 20-30 jsps with headers being updated (XMLs fetched and transformed) from another service once in an hour. But this system could stay up no longer than 2 days. If I new that the compilation is a problem I would do it otherwise - but I have suspected our code with the leak. Tried to use insane
(http://performance.netbeans.org/insane/) to find the leak and found the tomcat buffers ...

Best regards,

David

Yoav Shapira

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.