My understanding on this topic is perhaps not clearest, but here's what
I've been able to glean from watching tomcat-user (amongst others).

The VM will not 'release' back to the OS, any memory it grabs during the
run of a program. But that doesn't mean that it is currently "in use".
ex:

You've set the vm to start with 125MB memory, with a max size of 256MB.
During normal operations, the vm  is at 124.99 MB and then someone new
logs in.  That forces the VM to increase the memory being used (and
reported to the OS), possibly all the way to 256MB.
Now it's overnight.  No one is using the app. Sessions expire, and are
garbage collected.
The size of the memory "in use" has gone done, but the memory "in use"
as reported to the OS is still 256MB.

I'm sure someone will correct that if it's fundamentally wrong in the
slightest aspect. ;)