Hi,

I'm trying to create jsp documents (ie. all syntax written in valid xml).

In order to do this documents must be contained within a jsp:root
element, e.g.

<jsp:root version="2.0">
<!-- Rest of doc -->
</jsp:root >

For standalone pages this works fine.

My problem is that I am also using a prelude file specified in the
web.xml to do some common tasks for each page.

<include-prelude>/template/prelude.jspf</include-prelude>
<include-coda>/template/coda.jspf</include-coda>

Case 1:
prelude.jspf is not a valid jsp document (ie. it is a valid jsp page,
but not a xml doc)
Then when my main page (a valid jsp docuemnt) loads I get a jsp compile
exception because the <jsp:root> element must be the first element in a
jsp document. It is not in this case because prelude.jspf has been
inserted at the start of the file.

Case 2:
prelude.jspf is a valid jsp doc. (i.e. contained within a <jsp:root>
.... </jsp:root> element).
Again this then means that my main page cannot be a jsp document because
the <jsp:root> element is already terminated in the prelude.jspf file. I
get the same exception as case 1.

The second case here, is that I don't try to include my main jsp page
within jsp:root elements. This however simply means that my main page is
not validated as an xml document, and I can include non standard
elements (e.g. <hr> instead of <hr/>)

Case 3:
prelude.jspf incudes the <jsp:root> start element but does not close the
element. (This would be done in coda.jspf)
This results in a jsp exception because prelude.jspf is not a valid xml
doc. Until I close the jsp:root element in prelude.jspf this always fails.

Is it possible to generate valid jsp documents when using preludes and
codas?

Am I doing something silly?

Keith