read on linux site about opening port :server port on the firwall or change the port in the
admin console off tomcatl

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
administrateur http://entre-nous.qc.tc

From: Josh Rehman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installation Help Needed
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:04:58 -0800

This is almost certainly because you're running a firewall. It's kind of an involved topic, and not one I'm an expert on anyway, so you should check out this:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html

Beware: many distros have customized firewall software. Anyway, this isn't a tomcat problem.

Stormblade wrote:

Hey all,
Having trouble installing Tomcat 5 on my Linux box. I've installed the
Windows version without any trouble but the Linux one seems not to be
working and I'm not sure why.
I downloaded and installed the JRE and J2SDK. I've set the JAVA_HOME
variable. I installed Tomcat and ran the startup.sh. Everything seemed to
be going fine. Then I tried to access my box from another machine and there
is no answer. www.mymachinedomain:8080 doesn't even give me the default
page.
Can someone walk me through this or something? All the installation notes
I've seen weren't very detailed. Any help would be appreciated.