On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:14:52AM -0500, Stormblade wrote:
: Forgive me but I'm unfamiliar with that command. I typed it exactly
: as you had it above. Copy and paste even.

For the archives:

lsof is a tool to LiSt Open Files.  It lets admins match a port to a
process, among other things.  Invaluable for troubleshooting.

Back to the original post:

{tomcat user} = use the name of the tomcat process owner ;)
You could also have run:

        lsof -i :8080

I should've suggested that instead.

No big deal.  The fact that you didn't see anything is the key:
Tomcat didn't successfully start.

So now it's a matter of digging through the logs.
Look for a file "catalina.out"

: I did do a lsof -i -a and got a listing. I didn't see tomcat user or
: anything that said tomcat even. Was I supposed to create a tomcat
: user? I installed tomcat from the rpm.

I believe the RPM creates a user and group "tomcat" for you.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com