If only tomcat had the mod_rewrite capabilities that apache does, and strong perl and php performance, I would be glad to trash mod_jk (thus getting rid of apache as well).

Are there any good rewrite-like capabilities available for URL matching / rewriting that someone could share?
I'm sure a filter could be made to do the work that I need... but I also would need to be able to have multiple virtual hosts use the same code base, without having actually separate apps.

I have cobrands / private labels of my site with just one tomcat app running. So I have like 50 apache virtual hosts that really just write additional data to the query string using mod_rewrite. It works pretty spiffy, but it isn't elegant. My java application code partially relies on either the hostname (in the case that I didn't use mod_rewrite) or the query string that was passed in from mod_rewrite for a key to what the code should do within just one code base from just one running tomcat app.

I guess part of my problem is that I don't have knowledge as to whether tomcat's virtual hosts can be wildcarded to accept multiple *.domainname.com hosts all within one app. Is that possible with tomcat? Is it part of the spec? I wouldn't know where to look to find out.

Ideas on how to get rid of the mod_rewrite portion using a tomcat filter or something?

Daniel Gibby

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hi,

I use Apache in front of Tomcat a long ago and see no
problems? BTW, Apache executes all static content,
such as image files. Why you don't recommend Apache?

Again, that's not what I said. You just have to evaluate your
requirements carefully. Various factors like the content mix (%static
vs. %dynamic), scalability requirements, SSL load, and others all figure
into this decision.

For better or worse, the connectors between Apache and Tomcat not always
easy to set up.  It's by far the most common question/problem reported
on this list.  But part of the reason it's such a common topic is
because more people are using it than should be.  Not coincidentally,
many of these people are ones who read somewhere once that tomcat is not
a production-quality HTTP server, or that you have to put Apache in
front for production installations, and didn't bother to
verify/confirm/benchmark this assertion before following it blindly.

Yoav Shapira

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.