Have you tried adding <http-method/> elements to <web-resource-collection> ?

   <web-resource-collection>
     <http-method>HEAD</http-method>
     <http-method>GET</http-method>
     <http-method>POST</http-method>
     <http-method>PUT</http-method>
     <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
   </web-resource-collection>

Steve Luzynski wrote:

On Jul 9, 2004, at 8:11 AM, QM wrote:

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:19:39PM -0500, Steve Luzynski wrote:
: Using Tomcat 5.0.25 on Mac OS X (10.3.4 specifically). Trying to
: implement container managed security.
:
:  [snip: deployment descriptor]
:
: When I try to hit a url like
: http://localhost:9006/IPBoss/add/add_network.html, which as near as I
: can tell should trigger authentication, I just get the page I'm asking
: for - no login.

Humor me -- is there an Apache server in front of Tomcat that's
intercepting the .html?

Nope, Tomcat is running an http connector directly on port 9006.

(I hate to ask this) but did you restart Tomcat after making the web.xml changes?

Repeatedly. :)

Otherwise, web.xml looks spec-compliant as far as I can tell.

I thought so. Any other ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks much,
Steve