From: Peter Lin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 17:53
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JVM memory size changing dramatically

as others have stated, the only way to know is to stress test your
app. even without running a test, I can tell you IIS5 running on a
dual CPU box cannot handle 500 concurrent requests for dynamic pages.

500 concurrent requests for static files isn't a problem.

Depending on the kind of application, the maximum concurrent requests
maybe as low as a dozen or as high as 50-60. Does your app make
database queries? How long do the queries take?  How many CPU's does
the database server have? Which version of Sql Server do you run? Is
the database hosted on a separate box? What kind of router are you
using between the webserver and database? Is there a dedicated
ethernet port and router between the two tiers?

These are all important questions to ask and answer. Once you answer
most of these questions, you'll be able to confidently say what your
webapp can handle. good luck

peter

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:43:29 +0100, Dale, Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Only you can answer these questions by testing your application with
something like Jmeter. Devise tests that replicate user behaviour and
increase the load until it breaks. Then you will be able to see what it
can handle and how windows copes with the load.

> Ta
> Matt

is
> running but still Tomcat does not receive hits, what will happen if
the
> server has up to 500 visitors concurrently,
> How windows will handle this?
> How to make sure that JVM will not goes down?

has
> >several threads running in the background (threads loading and
writing
> >data, detecting URL connections).
> >
> >Tomcat starting-up with 80 up 90 MB memory size as Win2003 shows in
the
> >Tasks Manager, it keeps running stable and getting up and down
between
> >80 and 93 MB memory size. After several hours, memory size gets down
> >5 MB very fast, and then start goes up to 90 MB also fast.   This
> change
> >happening in about 2-3 minutes only, then it becomes stable again
> >jumping between 80-93 MB memory size.
> >
> >While this happening Tomcat is up and running, also my App. is up and
> >running. I do not have any memory error messages.
> >

> >I doubt it is the GC, Anybody can explain that?!!!
> >

> >My JAVA_OPTS as follows
> >

> >JAVA_OPTS=-server -Xms256m -Xmx768m -XX:NewSize=64m
-XX:MaxNewSize=64m