Jason Bainbridge wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:23:29 -0500, Scott Sauyet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We've had Tomcat 5.0.19 working on a number of Windows machines for a
while, running on Win2K and WinXP under j2sdk1.4.2_04  Yesterday we had
to install it on a Windows Server 2003 machine, and it's not working as
a service.  If we run it from the shell, it works fine, but when we try
to start it as a service, it starts up and shuts right back down with a
Windows message that some services don't stay running if they have no
work to do.

That usually happens when there is something wrong with the directory paths, there could be a space somewhere causing problems or something similar so have a look at the properties of the service and se eif it's pointing to the right spot.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be it. The service is looking at

"C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\bin\tomcat.exe //RS//Tomcat5"

which is correct. I don't know what the parameter "//RS//Tomcat5" is for but it matches what's working on other machines. Also the JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME enviroment variables are correct. The actual text of the error message is

    "The Apache Tomcat service on Local Computer started and then
    stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work
    to do, for example, the Performace Logs and Alerts service."

I'm not finding anything in the Tomcat logs, which makes me suspect that Tomcat is not in fact actually starting, but I don't know how to tell for sure.

Cheers,

  -- Scott