On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 18:42, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > From: Jorge Davila [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: RE: Tomcat + Apache Web Server
> >
> > Are you suggesting that we can drop apache and only use
> > tomcat in some cases?
>
> Certainly.  Think of the overhead being _added_ by passing a request
> through httpd just to get to Tomcat.  If the vast majority of the
> requests are for static content and only very few for dynamic, then
> using httpd in front of Tomcat makes sense; but if a significant
> fraction of the requests are targeting JSPs or servlets, then standalone
> Tomcat 5.5 may well result in better overall response time.
> Front-ending a set of Tomcats with Apache httpd for load-balancing or
> redundancy is also a highly appropriate (and relatively inexpensive)
> approach.

Consider the following Apache modules:
mod_headers
mod_expire
mod_deflate

I've never seen a web application that wouldn't benefit from one or all
of these modules. And the performance improvements would likely more
than outweigh any overhead.

If Tomcat provides any of the functionality of mod_headers, mod_expire,
or mod_deflate, it's news to me. So, why reinvent the wheel (e.g. w/ a
filter) when this functionality is available in Apache?

I'm still unconvinced that running Apache in front of Tomcat isn't
almost always a good thing. But I'm listening if someone can convince me
otherwise.

Mike

--
Merit Online Systems, Inc.