HI,
I'm sure there are a number of ways to do this. I have a method I use (which
might not be the simplest solution). Usually, my protected page is a jsp.
Now, to get to this jsp, you enter your username and password. When you hit
the submit button, the request is sent to a servlet that checks the database
and authenticates user. If the user is listed, the servlet directs the
request to the protected jsp. The tricky part is writing code in your jsp
(now this isn't generally advised, but I do it when it is absolutely
necessary) to check to make sure that the request came from the servlet! If
it did then the rest of jsp would be loaded otherwise, an error page would
be produced.
I'm sorry I can't give you any code samples right now but that's the general
idea. If you're familiar with JSPs, servlets and JDBC, you should get the
hang of it. Good luck!

Regards,

Paul