You may want to look at the O'Reilly JavaServer Pages Book, its a new
book with current info in it (since things in the Java server world are
changing quickly).

There are some good examples of access control and form based login
such as the one Mike Bryant is using with sample code.  It goes over the
same
technique as well as one that uses a servlet as the control/check mechanism
for logins.

The technique that Mike is using works well, just remember to
include the check in every restricted page.

Mike, have you tried to do the check in something like a page header
(like a title bar or something) that would have to be included in all pages?

Also, since you are including a .jsp page, are you using it within other
.jsp pages and .html pages?  How do you keep from duplicating .jsp page
directives or other script definitions?

Mike.
--
Mike Braden