From: George Sexton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 1:46 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Tomcat and the HttpServletRequest Object

Even if I were to write this as an enhancement, I can tell you from past
experience it would be rejected out of hand by the committers.

In your particular case, the tool you were using before used something like
a Vector or ArrayList to hold the parameter name/value pairs. Tomcat is
almost certainly using a HashMap of some sort. Any deterministic
implementation is going to be slower than the current random access
implementation. Committers will savage any submission that appears slower
and the person submitting it. No thanks, I'm not going there.

Even if Tomcat were to work in the manner desired, there's nothing that says
that every browser is going to submit the form elements in their order of
definition. You really need to abandon this idea and make your application
more robust.

You remind me of people who do SQL database development. They don't specify
an ORDER BY clause on their statements, but it always came back in the order
they wanted. Then one day, they upgraded versions of the database or the
query optimizer decided to take a different path, and all of a sudden the
results are coming out of order. Much wailing and attempted reporting of
bugs ensues... The truth is in SQL, that if you don't specify an ORDER BY
clause, the database can return the results in any order it likes.

Taking advantage of an implementation specific behavior is natural, but it
can lead (as you have found out) to non-portable code. The final arbiter is
the specification, and if the specification doesn't describe the behavior,
you can't say anything about it.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/