Brian Cook wrote on 08/16/2005 10:36 AM:

WOW that looks like a lot lot of unneeded complication.

I do not know if this is absolutely correct for every situation. But it is my experience that if you are just doing JSP pages you do not need the web.xml at all. It is only needed if you need to call a servlet, define a resource like JNDI, or set a context value.

Is the 404 error from Tomcat or Apache? Do you get the 404 error when you try to connect one of the servlets directly?

Brian,

The error is from Tomcat - if I go to port 8080, I also see it. My issue is that I can't figure out how to turn debug messages on via log4j - I'm sure I'd see something interesting there.

Thanks,
Simon

--

Simon (Vsevolod ILyushchenko)   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                http://www.simonf.com

Terrorism is a tactic and so to declare war on terrorism
is equivalent to Roosevelt's declaring war on blitzkrieg.

Zbigniew Brzezinski, U.S. national security advisor, 1977-81