Sue,

I did some looking in the tomcat-user archives, and found several posts along
these lines. I think what you need to do next is check your version of perl. I
am guessing you have 5.005 or somewhere thereabouts. Check it by doing perl -v.
Make sure you have 5.x. Once you've done that, go and edit the apxs file (it's a
perl script). You should see some lines like this after the initial comments are
done:

my $CFG_LD_SHLIB      = q(gcc);          # substituted via Makefile.tmpl
my $CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB = q(-shared); # substituted via Makefile.tmpl
my $CFG_LIBS_SHLIB    = q();        # substituted via Makefile.tmpl

They should look like this (I pasted this from my apxs which is on RH62, Apache
1.3.19). In particular I'm guessing the CFG_LD_SHLIB may be incorrect. Try
changing those lines to this if they are different and compile again.

-Scott

--
Scott Tatum | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Applications Developer, Special Projects