Liakim,

Ok, I will give it a try. The first message that I saw
says that you have the following settings the the
autoexec.bat:

set JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.3.1_01
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0

The JAVA_HOME is seen, but CATALINA_HOME is not being
seen by Tomcat based on the following output from your
last message:

Using CATALINA_HOME: c:\jakarta tomcat 4.0
Using JAVA_HOME:     c:\jdk1.3.1_01

I would suggest that you quote ("") the CATALINA_HOME
variable....I had to on Win2K...Like this:

set CATALINA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0"

That may help, if Tomcat is intalled in that
directory.
Spaces and paths don't work the best. Possible, but
tends in invite pain.

You MUST reboot for this change to take affect.

Second, the error you listed in your last message is a
Connection refused. If Tomcat is not running correctly
(not listening) that would be the error I would
expect.

If you have been modifying the server.xml you may want
to change it back to the way it was and try it again.
If needed you may even want to install Tomcat again.

After all that. Follow the dircetions provided with
Tomcat and start it up. If it starts correctly the
http://localhost:8080 in the browser of your local
machine should work.

Sorry if others have given this advise. I just joined
the user's list today, but have been doing Tomcat
stuff for a while.

Good luck,
Jeff