You may also want to try changing your classpath references from "Program
Files" to "progra~1".  I seem to recall this being a fix used by someone
else w/ the same problem.  Good luck.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: can anyone help

Thanks Jeff,

I tried that without any success I think the problem may be to do with java
as I had a look in
 'C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files' and the status of the java runtime is
'damaged' so I will try an download java again to see if it fixes the
problem

cheers

liakim

> Liakim,
>
>Ok, I will give it a try. The first message that I saw
>says that you have the following settings the the
>autoexec.bat:
>
>set JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.3.1_01
>set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0
>
>The JAVA_HOME is seen, but CATALINA_HOME is not being
>seen by Tomcat based on the following output from your
>last message:
>
>Using CATALINA_HOME: c:\jakarta tomcat 4.0
>Using JAVA_HOME:     c:\jdk1.3.1_01
>
>I would suggest that you quote (") the CATALINA_HOME
>variable....I had to on Win2K...Like this:
>
>set CATALINA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0"
>
>That may help, if Tomcat is intalled in that
>directory.
>Spaces and paths don't work the best. Possible, but
>tends in invite pain.
>
>You MUST reboot for this change to take affect.
>
>Second, the error you listed in your last message is a
>Connection refused. If Tomcat is not running correctly
>(not listening) that would be the error I would
>expect.
>
>If you have been modifying the server.xml you may want
>to change it back to the way it was and try it again.
>If needed you may even want to install Tomcat again.
>
>After all that. Follow the dircetions provided with
>Tomcat and start it up. If it starts correctly the
><a Target='_new'
Href='http://talk21.btopenworld.com/redirect.html?http://localhost:8080'>htt
p://localhost:8080</a> in the browser of your local