thanks for your reply vincenzo,

the problem is however not to get the form sent but rather to get
tomcat/the auth.interceptor to bite.
to this sollution i get a "404 /j_security_check not found"

after another moment of contemplation... perhapps you mean that
    1. in unprotected page set session attribute
"my.alltogether.made.up" to "newlyRegisterredUser"
    2. go to protected page (which obviously sends me to login page
    3. in login page:
if("newlyRegisterredUser".equals(session.getAttribute("my.alltogether.made.up")))
            fill form with user details and submit

and thta this would do the trick? I'll try for sure, thanx again, I'll
get back to you with tales of success.