Digging back into the dark cavern that is "trying to get IE to work with
a spec complying application"

(from which I have emerged and no longer care about)...

I believe you might be able to go....

http://<server>:8080/servlet/pdfservlet?thisisnotanarg.pdf

This may confuse IE into giving you what it should have given you in the
first place.

I also vaguely recall that IE is VERY particular about the headers that
you send...  the following are headers that I sent out of an app I was
using with PDF.  Worth trying, but not worth relying on!

response.addHeader(
            "Content-Type",
            "application/pdf; name=" + (char) 34 + outfilename + (char) 34);
response.addHeader(
            "Content-Disposition",
            "inline; filename=" + (char) 34 + outfilename + (char) 34);

Enjoy!
(Don't question the use of (char) 34, I borrowed it from elsewhere
without thinking!)

Now when someone can explain why IE displays PNG with a different color
than what they really are (no alpha channels or anything silly like
that), then I'll be happy. Well... no I won't, but I might be bemused!