On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Milt Epstein wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:41:17 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Milt Epstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: Jacob Kjome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: question about hot deployment and manager app....
>
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Jacob Kjome wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:30:02 -0500
> > > From: Jacob Kjome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Subject: question about hot deployment and manager app....
> > >
> > > I've been using the ant tasks for the manager app and they are
> > > really slick.  Makes testing much easier.
> > >
> > > However, how does one dynamically install an application when one
> > > has to specify context stuff in the server.xml or in a standalone
> > > [myapp].xml (using Tomcat 4.1.3)?
> [ ... ]
>
> Can you elaborate on this "hot deployment" and Ant tasks?  By "hot
> deployment", do you just mean being able to deploy/install/start a web
> application using Tomcat's manager application?

Yes.

If you have Tomcat 4.1.x, the docs for this are at:

  http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/manager-howto.html

>  And does the Ant
> tasks aspect of it just allow this to be done in a more "batch" way,
> via the command line?

That's it exactly ... there are Ant task analogues to each of the
"commands" that Manager supports, with exactly the same parameters.

The only real enhancement is on the deploy task -- because that requires
an HTTP PUT operation, you can't really use it *without* the Ant task, or
an equivalent HTTP client application.

>  Also, is doing this via Ant tasks only
> available in Tomcat 4.1.X, not 4.0.X?  (I saw a description of it on
> the 4.1.X manager how-to page, but not the 4.0.X page).

*Some* of the Ant tasks *might* work in 4.0, but they have not been
tested, and I am certain that there are some incompatibilities.

> Also, is this something that only applies to Tomcat standalone, or
> will it work when Tomcat is integrated with Apache?  If so, how does
> it take care of the neccesary Apache httpd directives (either JkMount
> or WebAppDeploy or whatever) to make sure Apache forwards the
> appropriate requests to Tomcat.

These tasks are targeted at Tomcat standalone.  They don't do anything
about restarting your web server for you (and, AFAIK, you don't have any
choice -- Apache, at least, does not have any notion of dynamic deployment
without restarting, although the restart process can be pretty quick).

> Thanks.
>
> Milt Epstein
> Research Programmer
> Systems and Technology Services (STS)
> Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES)
> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Craig