This is a working workers.properties file, RH 7.2, Tomcat 4.0.4/4.1.10,
Apache 1.3.26/2.0.40 using mod_jk 4.0.4 (NOT 4.1.10):

# Setup for apache system
#
workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
workers.java_home=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_01
ps=/
worker.list=ajp12, ajp13

# Definition for Ajp13 worker
#