no, because it is too easy to have conflicting libraries between tomcat and
the classpath. Therefore tomcat 4.x does not use the classpath. The
bootstrap loads from /jre/lib/ext, but if you are going to put your library
there, then just put it under tomcat instead unless you have a *real* reason
to keep it there.

what's wrong with moving(or copying) the jar to common/lib?

Charlie