Red Hat 7.2 HOWTO using JK:
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache1-tomcat404-howto.html

Aside from Tomcat version, and different binary files for Solaris instead of
RH, there is no difference.  The setup is exactly the same, I know this
because I just did it yesterday morning on a brand-new install of Solaris 8
on a 420R.  By "setup" I mean configuration, not compilation.  The
compilation was actually quite a bit of hassle, so if you can get binaries
of JK you should be good to go.

I have some Solaris 8 JK binaries archived at
http://www.johnturner.com/howto, they were compiled against 4.0.4 source,
but I doubt it would make much difference.  Might be worth a shot.

John