I'll add a comment on "slowness" of Tomcat...it's probably your app, not
Tomcat.

We just launched a beta of an application ported to Tomcat using the Struts
library.  The original app is "traditional" 3-tier Microsoft using ASP/VB
and COM+ to a SQL Server database.  The same processes, ported to JSP/Struts
+ Tomcat, with no additional tweaking, is significantly faster.  By
"significantly" I mean something taking 2 seconds instead of 15.  And that's
just a straight port...basically translating each line of ASP/VB into JSP
and using the Struts library where possible...no major architecture changes.
It's only going to get better as we continue to tweak things and prepare for
official launch.

I'm not saying Tomcat is perfect, just making the observation, as others
have done, that application architecture and database queries can have a
huge effect on performance.  Tomcat is directly responsible for neither.

John