Z,

I don't know if this is too late for you, but I would
look at compiling the mess.  You can get the compiler
and tools  for building generic C/C++/Objective C code
from:

http://www.sunfreeware.com/

They come as sun packages, so they should be easy to
install.  Once installed, you can get the source code
for the appropriate connector and build.

It's not the easiest way in the world, but it'll be a
good introduction to the world of open-source
software.  Once you get used to it, the ./configure,
make, make test, make install routines are pretty
straightforward and reliable.

/mde/

just my two cents . . . .