On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Eriam Schaffter wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 02:08:47 +0000
> From: Eriam Schaffter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Hi all .. licence issue ..
>
> I just did right now ..
>
> One question remains wich is a bit off-topic but maybe people hav
> experience with it ..
>
> Does tomcat includes code from sun (code not covered by Apache licence)
> and if yes what parts ?

Tomcat binary distributions (other than the LE version for 1.4-based JVMs)
include the following Sun packages that are redistributable according to
the Sun binary license:

* activation.jar (JavaBeans Activation Framework APIs)
* jdbc2_0-stdext.jar (JDBC 2.0 Optional Package APIs)
* jndi.jar (Java Naming and Directory Interface APIs)
* jta.jar (Java Transaction Architecture APIs)
* mail.jar (JavaMail APIs)
* jaas.jar (Java Authencation and Authorization Service APIs)

The LE version of Tomcat doesn't include these, because they have all been
built in to a JDK 1.4 JVM.

Nearly all the other code is from Apache, under the Apache Software
License.  Exceptions include:

* mx4j-jmx.jar (Open source implementation of JMX - license included)

> Actually can I use the java sdk from sun in a business environment for
> free ?

As with all software, you need to obey the terms of the license.  In the
case of a Sun JDK, the terms and conditions are in the license you had to
click through to download it.  You DID read that, didn't you?

> Does tomcat run with kaffe or another GPL JVM .. ?

I don't know of anyone who has tested Tomcat under such JVMs -- it's
possible but IMHO not real likely to run reliably.

> Eriam

Craig