That's probably the case if you were using cookies to track sessions.
The cookie spec mentions that the port is also part of the scope of a
cookie, so when you went from www.foo.com:80 to www.foo.com:443 you
changed the scope of the original cookie and thus created a new
"session" on the server side. The fix is to either change the cookie's
domain to be foo.com rather than www.foo.com, which will make it match
to all servers in that domain on all ports. At least, this seems to be
what I remember the issue being several years ago for a similar
deployment I did.

HTH,
James