/***********************************
*
*  Caution:  LONG Rant Warning :)
*
**********************************/

Turner, John wrote:

I don't think they are poorly documented at all. Just the HOWTOs written by
myself and others on this list alone provide comprehensive documentation.

John:

// begin rant:

With all due respect and recognition to the enormous efforts you personally appear to have put into making Tomcat accessible, the documentation is neither comprehensive nor adequate, for either Tomcat or whatever is the connector du jour. There are pockets of good documentation, such as your how-tos and seemingly tireless presence on this mail list, surrounded by lots of chaffe---incomplete, inaccurate, out-of-date, even non-existent files inside of tarballs or littered around the jakarta.apache.org website.

I don't mean to rag on you, or the Apache group.

I know it's all free software and, though it may not sound like it, I am an appreciative fan, now that I have stumbled onto this list and located your how-to page.
But I've spent a lot of time fruitlessly searching the jakarta.apache.org website for answers to my questions and I have found the doc set taken as a whole to be contradictory, poorly organized, and in some cases downright misleading.

If you have any pull with the development team, IMHO, you ought to ask them give the website a thorough going over, removing old, out of date stuff (if mod_webapp and mod_jk are deprecated, why are they included in the connectors tarball with nothing in the READMEs to suggest they are out of date?) and updating whats left so that the entire doc set accurately reflects the current state of the software.

// end rant :)

Jerry

My point was that Tomcat is free, and it is developed in the open source
model. That means the quickest way to get your suggestions implemented is
to do them yourself.

The source for the ApacheConfig class is in the Tomcat source bundle, where
it should be. The package name is the same name as used in server.xml.

Please keep in mind that the ApacheConfig class is a convenience feature,
and is not a core feature of Tomcat. The fact that it is there at all is
gravy, not a requirement, and more a feature of connector development than
Tomcat development.

John