On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Rasputin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:59:37 +0000
> From: Rasputin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Documentation WAS: jsps and servlets don't work
>
> * Joseph Shraibman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [1233 03:33]:
>
> > Jerry Ford wrote:
> > >With all due respect and recognition to the enormous efforts you
> > >personally appear to have put into making Tomcat accessible, the
> > >documentation is neither comprehensive nor adequate, for either Tomcat
> > >or whatever is the connector du jour.  There are pockets of good
> > >documentation, such as your how-tos and seemingly tireless presence on
> > >this mail list, surrounded by lots of chaffe---incomplete, inaccurate,
> > >out-of-date, even non-existent files inside of tarballs or littered
> > >around the jakarta.apache.org website.
>
> Definitely. But at the end of the day this is an Open Source project.
> If people don't want to write documentation, they won't, and there's not
> a lot you can do to persuade them.
> I'm not playing the 'use the source Luke' card, I'm just telling you
> how it is. In my experience of Open Source projects, all ranting does
> is getting you killfiled.
>
> The real fix for this is to put the website docs into CVS and let people
> send patches. Then people who like writing documentation can write docs,
> and the coders can get on with coding.

It's already there :-). The source code for the Tomcat documentation pages
is in the "webapps/tomcat-docs" subdirectory of the source distribution.
Nearly all of it is XML, and there's an XSLT stylesheet used to transform
it into the HTML that you actually read.  The Ant build.xml file in this
directory uses Ant's <style> task to actually perform the transformation.

> Maybe it's already in CVS. I couldn't find any docum... oh :D
>
> Craig (or anyone), do we have an address to recieve doc patches?

Same as for code-related bug reports and patches:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

Use category "Webapps:Documentation" for documentation bugs.

Craig