> From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> * The most common use case for wanting HTTPS->HTTP is to let you
>   log on with HTTPS "so your password does not go across the
>   Internet unencrypted", but run the rest of the application on
>   HTTP.  Having to reauthenticate again means they don't get what
>   they thought they wanted.

My employer has some websites that work like this:

Password exchanges are encrypted.
Most user interaction is not encrypted.
Reauthentication is necessary if you want to edit your credit card
information or other personal data.

The secure sections of the application are accessed infrequently, so the
extra user interaction is not very annoying.

> * Reauthentication happens in cleartext again, right?  So it's subject
>   to snooping and forgery just the same as if you had never bothered
>   with SSL in the first place.

Of course not.  That would be stupid.

> Another way to say what you propose is "run the post-SSL stuff on a
> separate session id, so you don't expose the secure session id to
attack".
> That would be fine, but it basically ignores why the large majority of
> people want to do this in the first place.

I'll throw another example in, this one related to the projects I work
on:

My user accounts exist in a "foreign" database; the credentials must be
kept secure because they could be used on other websites and with other
tools to wreak havoc.  However, other than requiring one of these
accounts, my specific website does not contain sensitive data and there
is no compelling need for SSL.

> > It's not rocket science, and people build webapps that do this all
the
> > time.  Just not with Tomcat.
>
> None of the concerns about HTTPS->HTTP are specific to Tomcat, or even
> Java-based web servers.  They are fundamental to the nature of the way
> HTTP and HTTPS work.

I'm aware of that.  The tomcat-specific issue is that it won't let you
make the transition from https to http on the same session.  That's
frustrating.

Look, I'm not suggesting that HTTPS->HTTP transitions are for everyone;
given how fast and cheap computers are these days, most people are
probably better off running their entire applications under SSL even if
they aren't worried about security.  But there are a number of us out
here with high volume sites that *could* benefit from Tomcat allowing
the transition.  It's not categorically evil.

Jeff Schnitzer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Sims Online