As long as you know what you do and are shure that you
(or any other person that may maintain the site in the
future) always remember what you have done that may be
ok.

The risk I see that with such an approach is that it is
quite easy to forget about the potential risks of this
solution when somebody adds some functionality to the
side somewhere in the future that breaks the basic
assumption behind this solution.

If you use form based login make damn shure that there
is no way for an user to edit his password or other
sensitive data as this way you can't protect that page
against an intruder after the user switched back to http.
With form based-login the user is stored in the session
and somebody who steals a session is authenticated as
far as tomcat is considered.