Hi Chris -

I've seen this situation before, but don't have a way to add vhosts to server.xml on the fly. One thing that comes to mind would be to use mod_rewrite to (somehow) rewrite a *.jsp URI with some vhost-specific info in it that Tomcat can pick up and use to direct to the right context. Under this scenario, you would have a single <Host> block, with appBase of /www, but any *.jsp pages would have a prefix of /cust1, /cust2, /cust3, etc., depending on the URI. I don't use mod_rewrite regularly, so I can't give you the exact syntax. If by chance you figure it out, I'd appreciate you letting me know what you did.

Regards,

Lajos

Chris Davies wrote:
Hi,

Ah, thanks. That worked. Actually, this was the first thing I tried, but I
realised I was defining the <Host> tags inside the localhost one. (Oops :)

Unfortunatly, it still leaves me with a problem. I really don't want to have to
shut down tomcat and restart everytime I add a new user to the system. Tomcat
takes a while to "warm up", which is a period when every customer request for a
java application returns 500. mod_webapp allows me to define the context in
httpd.conf, which is pretty handy.

Is there any way I can use mod_jk to have tomcat take it's cue from Apache as to
what context it ought to be in? Alternatively, is there a port I can signal
Tomcat on to reread it's configuration?

Thanks,
C.Davies

Quoting Lajos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi Chris -

Oops - I realize my mistake. I was thinking something entirely different. You should have two <Host> blocks, one for each vhost, one with appBase of /www/cust1 and one with appBase of /www/cust2. Sorry for

leading you the wrong way.

If that still doesn't work, email me your server.xml and httpd.conf
offline.

Regards,

Lajos

                   Lajos Moczar
    Open Source Support, Consulting and Training
            Cocoon Developer's Handbook
 (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322579)

     http://www.galatea.com -- powered by AzSSL