Since I didn't see any reply to my first post, let me try to restate, and
simplify the issue.  Interested readers may refer to the earlier post (same
subject) for details.

We encountered an issue when adding a classpath entry to the Tomcat
(v4.1.18) 'setclasspath.sh' script.  It so happens that the classpath entry
'/home/web/mediaware/WEB-INF/classes' is already accessible as a context,
but we need the classpath entry for some functions internal to our servlet.
 When we add this classpath entry using 'setclasspath.sh', Tomcat seems to
loose its context.  There are no errors in any of the startup logs, but
servlets located in '/home/web/mediaware/WEB-INF/classes' cannot run properly.

For a simple HelloWorld script located in this 'classes' folder, the
failure exhibits itself as inability to find the HttpServlet service.  This
can be fixed if we also add the following entry to the classpath:

        /usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/common/lib/servlet.jar:

This seems odd.  Why does adding an existing 'classes' folder to our
classpath cause Tomcat to fail to find it's own supporting jar file?
Incidentally, the added entry in our classpath also causes Tomcat to fail
to find supporting jar files in '/home/web/mediaware/WEB-INF/lib'.

Any ideas?

        Regards, Bill Claxton [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        OpenAsia Solutions provides streaming media & payment solutions.
        Check out http://www.openasia.net