Hi all,
I am using win2000 and trying to install and run the tomcat4.1.24, I am
getting an parser exception as follows when I try to access the home page
http://localhost:8080. I also tried not to install as service, in that case
it
is unable to see the JSP parser servlet. Could some one help on this..

2003-06-10 23:01:47 StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for servlet
jsp threw exception

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
    [javac] C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\_\index_jsp.java:266:
handlePageException(java.lang.Exception) in javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext
cannot be applied to (java.lang.Throwable)
    [javac]       if (pageContext != null)
pageContext.handlePageException(t);
    [javac]                                           ^
    [javac] 1 error

 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandle
r.java:130)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:2
93)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:353)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:370)
 at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:4
73)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:1
90)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
 at
FilterChain.java:247)
 at
ain.java:193)
 at
va:256)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at
va:191)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2415)
 at
)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
java:171)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at
:174)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
 at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
 at
ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
 at
a:619)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

=

I also tried with editing the regedit suggested by John.
"
The JVM specified in the registry doesn't seem to work for compiling JSPs.
You can edit the registry and change the value of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Apache Tomcat
4.1/Parameters/JVM Library and make it point to the jvm.dll in
javainstallation\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll and that should take care of it.
"

This did not work either..I am getting the following error.

HTTP Status 503 - Servlet jsp is currently unavailable

----
type Status report

message Servlet jsp is currently unavailable

description The requested service (Servlet jsp is currently unavailable) is
not currently available.

----