> I wonder if there is a way of setting up a tomsrtbt full
> system. I mean a system where to compile binaries, etc...
> ( libc5, kernel 102.0.39, etc... )
Sure. Libc5 compilation is just a matter of either getting the libc5
headers and stuff, there are both RedHat and Debian packages for that, as
well as a rudimentary libc5 kit in my add-ons directory.
I plan to release a foolproof libc5 environment that works by chrooting to
a pre-configured tree, but that hasn't happened yet, you are better off
just going the redhat or debian way.
As far as the kernel, anyone adding a custom kernel is better off just
compiling a regular kernel to their own needs. You could do the same
thing I did, change the version stuff in the makefile to 102 0 39, then
comment out the code that sets include/linux/version.h in the makefile,
then edit include/linux/version.h to force the UTS_RELEASE to be 102.0.39
but still keep the LINUX_VERSION_CODE at 131111 so that all the programs
still configure themself for 2.0.39. But what is the point? If it is for
your own use, you can either go with 2.0.39, or 2.2.18, or 2.4.2, and not
bother with the kludge. Whenever I build a special kernel, I just say 'y'
for all the things I need, usually use 2.2.18, and scrap all the modules.
The only special requirements for the kernel are minix filesystem support,
floppy diskette support, and ramdisk support. Moreover, if you don't do
the 102.0.39 kludge, then all the pcmcia stuff will just work when you
build it.
The current problem with the cardbus pcmcia is just that I tried to jimmy
the headers and stuff in the pcmcia package to allow it to compile with
102.0.39 string literals for allowing loading, and still 131111 version
code for correct compilation, and got something wrong. There certainly
isn't anything you want from me as far as the pcmcia stuff, as it isn't
working! I think when I can what I'm going to do is try building it
straight against a 2.0.39 tree, and then use objcopy or objdump or 'ar' or
whatever to change the symbols on the fly to 102.0.39...
-Tom