..>>>
I've worked 20 new countries on 160m this winter alone on bands that are closed
are so polluted with RF noise, that it would not be possible with the human
ear.
<<<

I kindly can't agree with that. Yes , noise is going up, but there are so many
things you can do to reduce the noise floor, chokes, small RX antennas and
filters.

All of this requires some dedication and it is not easy. However far from "not
possible"

My city lot is noisy as everybody else, I works 135 (CW) countries for the CQ
Marathon since Jan 1st 2017 on 160m. My total on the last 10 years is # 291
confirmed on 160m, 39 zones.

My back yard is 100x150ft. not so small for a high performance station on 160m.

The digital mode is a choice, only a choice to avoid the hard work to enjoy a
DX on 160m.

Digital mode  is boring as watch grass growing. But it is an option where the
PC try to do a connection with other PC using the antenna you have, nothing
wrong with that if you enjoy it.

It is not a solution for noise. It is a computer calculation that narrow the BW
to few Hertz or less than one Hz.

The decoding is another thing. I personally don't consider a QSO, just a
machine to machine connection.

The human operator is an option, all communication could  and can be done by
software as well.

 Again it is just a personal thing.

Regards

JC