This is getting into topics of considerable debate.  OWLIM and others
(e.g. KAON2) are datalog reasoners.  Pellet and Racer use the Tableau
algorithm.  OWL-DL is certainly not the only way to do reasoning.
Many tools provide a kind of RDFS+ that includes some of the more
common inferences - symmetry, transitivity, equivalence, etc., but not
full DL reasoning.  The current OWL 2 working draft includes a couple
of profiles using subsets of and extensions to OWL-DL.  There's a
draft at http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-profiles-20080411/

Composer has been designed to interface with a number of these
reasoning techniques.  This means Composer interfaces with the
reasoners and will faithfully apply the triples returned by a
reasoner.  Composer's task is to make editing the ontology easier,
make the results of the reasoning process more transparent, combine
inference engines as needed, and provide a common platform for
processing different reasoning techniques.

The choice of reasoning technique is largely a matter of application
requirements.  Add to the above mix SPARQL CONSTRUCT and Composer can
be used to tailor reasoning at very fine levels.  As one small
example, if one does not like the tautological 'X owl:sameAs X'
triples that tableau reasoners create, it is a simple matter to filter
these with a SPARQLMotion script.  Reasoners not directly supported by
Composer can also be interfaced with using the DIG 1.x interface. This
would be a good approach if one wanted to use Pellet 2, for example.

There are many other refinements to reasoners that are possible with
Composer's features and inference configurations.  The key input to
this discussion is that Composer is agnostic to specific reasoners and
techniques.  One needs to be aware of what the different reasoners do
and then Composer can be used... to compose their results... to add
process and refine reasoning results, etc.

-- Scott