Hi Charlie,

TBC-ME is a companion IDE (Integrated Development environment) for TopBraid
Live server and other TopBraid server products such as TopBraid EVN and
TopBraid Insight.

When one develops applications using TBC-ME, one presumably is using
technologies such as SPIN, SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages, SWP Application
Component Library and/or Teamworks Framework. Technical features and advantages
for each of these are explained on their web pages in a fairly detailed way.
Each page has a tab entitled “Why <X>” and we would also be happy to answer
additional questions:

http://www.topquadrant.com/technology/sparql-rules-spin/

http://www.topquadrant.com/technology/sparqlmotion/

http://www.topquadrant.com/technology/sparql-web-pages-swp/

http://www.topquadrant.com/technology/swa-sparql-web-applications/

http://www.topquadrant.com/technology/topbraid-teamworks-framework/

These technologies make it easier to create powerful semantic web and linked
data applications. If one didn’t use them, then one would presumably have to
write some not dissimilar code themselves for their applications to take
advantage of the capabilities. Then, the applications would be ‘locked’ to that
code.

In other words, like anything, this is a buy versus build decision. Does the
organization want to write and maintain their own infrastructure/middleware
type of code or does it prefer to license it from a software vendor? Many
organizations these days chose the latter because it saves them time, money and
reduces risk, but some chose the former.

Regards,

Irene