In the meantime I'm using Tortoise SVN 1.10 for quite some time.
I enjoy it very much that now a project having new commits is getting selected
on opening PM, thank you.
None the less: the second half of my use cases is opening PM to search for past
commits, review things and so on - it's my first step to go regarding any
historical commit. It would be fantastic if in a future release you could
select the first project in the list if there is none having new commits.

Ralf