On Monday, November 28, 2022 at 3:16:00 PM UTC+1 igi...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> You might recall we had a similar discussion quite a while back.
> https://groups.google.com/g/tortoisesvn/c/SEzMVnRPEZo/m/3bCYH1R_CQAJ

And as you can read in the old thread, I told you back then that this is a
bad idea.

> I'm only now looking at this again. Whether good or bad, scoop package
> manager doesn't necessarily execute the .msi file, but rather just extracts
> the files in the .msi package using LessMSI (some caveats around this, but
> assume this is true).

I will not comment on this, because what I would have to write about this
is not suitable for this forum.

> tortoisesvn is already included in the scoop repo (
> https://github.com/ScoopInstaller/Extras/blob/master/bucket/tortoisesvn.json
> ), but no other Tortoise client exists and I'm trying to add more, starting
> with TortoiseGIT. I've already added the package at
> https://github.com/igitur/scoop-extras/blob/add-tortoisegit/bucket/tortoisegit.json
>
> , but because the .msi file is just extracted, the overlay icons *are* in
> fact duplicated on my machine. I can see them in these directories:

just a quick look at the TSVN json and I'm already shocked. The version
check uses the download.html  page and a regex???
Use this https://tortoisesvn.net/version.txt

> - d:\scoop\apps\tortoisesvn\current\Common\TortoiseOverlays\
> - d:\scoop\apps\tortoisegit\current\Common\TortoiseOverlays\

and that's scoops problem: the overlays would be installed in commonAppdata
folder, the same for both Tortoise clients. There would not be a second
folder.

> At any given moment, I can't be sure which of these versions are actually
> registered in the registry. I'm trying to improve this by creating an
> explicit tortoiseoverlays package on which

other Tortoise clients will depend. This is the way of scoop package
> manager. I know you don't approve, but for us that like scoop, I don't see
> another way to accommodate multiple Tortoise clients. I accept the risks
> that you mention. For example, I know that mixing installations via scoop
> and traditional methods will possibly break some instances.
>
> So, all I'm looking for (if it exists) is a readily available archive of
> all the icon sets that I can download and extract once the new
> tortoiseoverlays scoop package is installed. There are many workarounds,
> including cloning the entire git mirror and copying only the icons, but
> that is using a nuclear warhead to hit in a nail.
>
> Please help me out or tell me if such an archive isn't available.

No, such an archive is not available.
But you could create your own zip of all the icons - they haven't changed
in years...